Electirc Cooloing Fan

Richard,
>I hope someone out there can help me with this problem. I have a >1986 .SpiderQuad that appears to have a non functioning auxiliary cooling >fan. (The
>electric one in front of the radiator.) Based on the dash temp gauge the
>engine normally runs at 175-185 degrees, but I have had the engine temp up >to
>about 210-220 and I would assume the electric fan would come on by then. >All
>the wiring appears to be intact and I can't find any blown fuses, at least
>there aren't any blown in the fuse panel under the steering wheel. I can't
>find any tech articles on this anywhere so I am hoping someone can tell the me
>the procedure to go through to help fix this.

There is a fuse for the electric fan located between the radiator reservoir tank and the passenger front fender.  It should be in a red thing-a-ma-do.  The fuse may look good, but it may not be making contact.  If you have a extra 16 amp fuse laying around swap it out.  You can test the fan by turning on the AC.  If it works, you may want to check on the thermostatic sensor located on the shroud.  Mine is about 2:00 on the shroud and held on by one screw.  A friend with a 86 Veloce said his thermostatic sensor just hangs next to the shroud.  If it's oily and dirty you may want to clean it off.  Have you looked at the fan itself?  I ask this because I found a plastic bag wrapped around the fan once.  Good luck.

AJ
86 Black Graduate