Re: towing a spider

Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 22:51:52 -0400
From: "Ed & Marsha Prytherch" <mred2u@domain.elided>
Subject: towing a spider

I am going to tow a non-drivable S2 spider about 600 miles using a dolly. Is
there any need to uncouple the driveshaft?

Thanks,
Ed Prytherch

Ed, in my humble opinion, yes uncouple the driveshaft.  The gears and bearings
in the transmission are lubed by splash and spray when the engine is turning
them.  With the engine stopped, only the output side is turning.  Also, the
bearing between the input and output shaft is designed to operate under small
differences in RPMs for short periods and may become damaged if run for
prolonged periods with one shaft stopped and the other running at highway
speeds.
Skip
67 Duetto
Norfolk Va