RE: 1600 bellhousing onto a 2000 tranny

Chip Schug wrote:

> I have just purchased a beautiful (and rust free) 1967 Duetto...

>> ... I have a rebuilt 2000 transmission (I would use the 1600
bellhousing and rear cover) that I can install in the car.  The only
problem being that the front oil seal is different from the 1600 to the
2000.  The 2000 being smaller.

Therefore, I am currently looking for a seal (not an Alfa seal) that
will fit into a 1600 bellhousing but seal on a 2000 mainshaft.  I have
heard that a National 40x26x7 seal might indeed do the job.

Seems like that is my only problem with installing the 2000
transmission.  The rear cover seal is the same size! <<

I found two problems with mating a 2000 tranny with the older
1600 bell housing:

1) A special tranny seal needs to used. I used CR #10181, 26mm x 40mm x 8mm.

2) The reverse switch needs to be extended about 7/8 inch to reach the
actuating rod and work properly.

Rich Hirsch
St Louis MO
'67 Duetto