Re: 164 Fuel tank questions

John writes:

Here are a few fuel tank questions:

1.  Filling the 164 tank has always been a mongrel.  The tank has to be
filled very slowly, or else fuel blows back over me and the side of the car.
Sometimes at a service station where there is a hair-trigger pump nozzle, it
keeps clicking off and the filling has to be done at a trickle.

I have the same, or a very similar problem with my '84 GTV6. Mine seems to take the first half tank or so reasonably well but from there on fueling goes very slowly. I don't have any answers but, like John, I'd sure like to know what's going on and how to fix it. These pit stops are taking forever.

John