164 Fuel Tank Questions

Greetings Alfisti!

Here are a few fuel tank questions:

1.  Filling the 164 tank has always been a mongrel.  The tank has to be
filled very slowly, or else fuel blows back over me and the side of the car.
Sometimes at a service station where there is a hair-trigger pump nozzle, it
keeps clicking off and the filling has to be done at a trickle.

There is a rubber vent pipe that runs parallel to the filler neck - mine is
a bit kinked, so I tried to replace it yesterday.  The replacement hose
kinked worse than the original, but the kink in the original didn't seem to
be the problem.

It seems that the design of the filler neck causes the blowing back and slow
filling - probably poor venting from the top of the tank - has anybody else
experienced this, or even better, found a cure?

2.  There is a rubber vent tube that runs from the top of the anti-capsize
valve on the tank to the filler neck.  My 164 is really a 168 from Hong
Kong, and part of the "Australianisation" needed for registration here is to
install the charcoal canister for the emission system, and a ULP filler neck
is installed.  It seems that when this has been done, the vent tube has been
disconnected at the filler neck end so that the return from the charcoal
canister can be connected, and so is just floating loose.  A loose
connection from the tank seems pretty scary - should this be connected to
something?  I think that there are a few other Australian digesiti on this
list with grey import 168s - what do you have?

3.  There is a rubber boot that joins the tank to the filler neck.  Mine is
a bit cracked (but not leaking) and so should be replaced.  Does anybody
know if these are a special size, or can they be picked up anywhere?

As always, any ideas most welcome!

Thanks,
John Wiltshire
Sydney Australia
'89 164 (ex Hong Kong 168)

PS  Please note that I'm posting from my home e-mail - the one at work is
now very random in letting ADs through the firewalls.