Re: rattling shifter knob

I too had problems with my Momo after-market shifter knob coming loose all the time. It annoyed me so much that I replaced the Momo with an Alfa original equipment GTV-6 knob that I got from my Alfa mechanic for $15. Best investment I have made to the shifting of the GTV-6 (other than lengthening the shift lever by about 4 inches over stock which transformed the driveability of the car for me.). The Alfa knob friction-fits over the end of the unaltered shift lever and is held in place by a large rubber socket inside the knob which is designed to take the end of the lever. Once on, it never moves and it feels so good to the hand, that I have to wonder why anyone would go for an after-market one. Top me they are inferior in every way.

George Graves

On Thursday, August 15, 2002, at 10:23 AM, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 07:57:10 -0400 (EDT)
From: Richard Welty <rwelty@domain.elided>
Subject: Re[2]: rattling shifter knob

On Thu, 15 Aug 2002 07:33:22 EDT GModelle@domain.elided wrote:
Mr. Lewis inquires about a noisy knob. The solution is to never take
your
hand off of it.
i know this is probably just a flip comment, but i have to strongly
recommend against the approach.

if your hand is on the shifter, you don't have both hands on the wheel. you
shouldn't be handling the shifter unless you're actually shifting -- this
includes not moving your hand to the shifter early in anticipation.

riding the shifter includes the theoretical possibility of early wear on
the forks, just as riding the clutch includes the theoretical possibility
of early wear on the throwout bearing.

richard
- --
Richard Welty rwelty@domain.elided