Re:115 series GTV fog/driving lights revisited

In a message dated 8/14/2002 7:51:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> 115 series GTV fog/driving lights

  Now, where was I...Oh yeah, fog lamp/hi-beam set up. Here's what you'll
need. 1 Bosch 4 terminal relay, 1 scotch clip inline terminal splice, (this
one is optional, if you prefer, you can solder this connection for better
weather resistance) at least 10 feet of red 14 -16 gauge wire, 10 feet of
black wire, same size, Yellow or green for the hi-beam splice, (so you don't
get confused) an inline fuse holder, At least a 15 amp fuse, ( I popped a 10
amp fuse when I turned mine on the first time with the Hella Jumbo 220s) and
a single pole single throw switch. ( this again is optional if you want them
to come on ALL the time. But I like the option of turning them off).  And
finally black plastic wire loom. This looks better than the wires running
from the lights to the body.  Duh! you'll need misc. wire terminals.
  Ready? Here we go.  First thing is to DISCONNECT the battery. (I know,
no-brainer.) Find the power lead to the hi-beams. (you may need the battery
hooked up for this part, and a multi-tester) T splice the yellow or green
wire to this wire with the scotch clip or clean back some insulation and
solder the wire to the lead. ( special note; this only has to power the
relay, not the lights. There will be very little drain on the lighting
circuit.) When done seal it well. Run the green or yellow wire to the switch
inside the passenger compartment. Mount the switch were desired. Run another
gr or yl wire back to the relay. Attach this wire to the #85 terminal on the
relay. The #86 terminal will get a black wire to go to Chassis ground. Next,
find a 12 v supply to power the lights. I went directly off the battery with
the fuse holder. It was a shorter distance. If you want you can patch into a
switched lead. This way they will not be on if the ignition key is off. But
you better find a big one, there's a lot of draw off these lights. Since your
dealing with an older Alfa, I'd go off the battery.
Hook up the fuse holder to the power supply and run the red wire to #30/51
terminal. From the # 87 terminal run a red wire to the lights. My lights had
2 wires, a supply and a ground. I ran the black ground wire back under the
hood to the ground block. This way its kept cleaner and out of the weather.
Install the wire loom and mount the relay in an out of sight place. Next,
tidy up the wires and make sure they won't get chafed on something sharp.
Hook up the battery, turn on your hi-beams and throw the switch. Now see what
you've been missing at night.
  If you run into problems, (shouldn't be any) Email me direct.  I love mine
set up this way. They won't come on accidently with the low-beams on. No
pissed off drivers coming in the other direction.  (I know it pisses me off
when people always have their driving lights on everywhere they go.)
Tim Timko
88 Alfa Romeo Milano Platinum