Stripped stud

In a message dated 08/13/2002 9:15:10 PM Central Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 21:17:07 -0500
> From: "Jon Durham" <Jon_Durham@domain.elided>
> Subject: Stripped stud
>
> Well, the stud on the oil-filter housing is stripped. I can only
> get about one turn with the nut. I have the die but can't seem to get it
> square to the stud and I'm afraid of cross threading it. And if I can't
> get two nuts on I can't use the nut method to pull the stud and I can't
> see using vice grips cause there doesn't appear to be much room.
>
> HELP!!
>
> Jon A Durham
> 256-722-8692

       What stud is there on the oil filter housing?  Is that the oil filter
on the Spica pump?  Or the angle housing for an older Alfa cannister style
filter?
       Anyway, if a stud / bolt is broken off just at or slightly out from
the surface, then you are not going to be able to get two nuts on to remove
it.  Nor is there enough sticking out for vice grips.  I have had success
putting a nut (any size will do as long as it is not way too big) over the
stub of the broken stud and arc welding the nut to the stud.  It may take a
couple of trys, but you should be able to get it out that way.
       Once it is welded or more like a heavy tack weld, remove it before it
cools.  The heat will help to break any corrosion holding it in place.
       The only other thing to do is to drill out the stud.  You will not be
able to drill the super hard stud straight.  Therefore, you will have an
oversized hole when done.  With luck it will not be too large for a Heli Coil.
       I have never had success using EZ Outs.  A broken EZ Out is even
harder to drill out that an bolt or stud.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City