Electric Water Pumps

Has anyone here ever tried replacing a bad Alfa water pump with one of the racing-style electric ones? I've never actually seen one of these beasties, but they have been described to me as cylindrical devices which go in-line by replacing a section of radiator hose with the unit (apparently it has radiator hose fittings on each end) and connecting it with ignition-switched 12 volts. I've heard that one can take an old water pump and remove the shaft and impeller, and then just get the shaft opening welded shut so that it doesn't leak. Replace the current water pump with the dummy unit and that should be the last time that one has to do that. It's probably expensive to buy one of these electric pumps, but so is replacing water pumps in Italian cars every 20K miles or so. I know that Alfas and many Ferraris would benefit from such a substitution in the long run.