Suspecting problems with Crane 700

Hey cats,

Can anyone with experience with the Crane XR700
system read this and comment please?

I have a recent rebuild (under 350 miles so far)
on my 74 GTV, and had my builder put the XR700
kit on my Bosch distributor and a PS91 coil. I'm
breaking it in, and it pulls great. I go on a
100 mile trip this weekend, and on the way back
I get some hesistating. This is about 300 miles
into the rebuild. It feels a bit like the old
low fuel pressure sputter. Just a slight
hesistation, but I made it back home.

I had seen this with low tank and bad filters, so
I go to top off the tank, and it is sputtering
bad at this point. No change. I am thinking maybe
the little wheel or the optical mechanism is
loose or dirty, so I pull the distributor cap off.
First off, the 4 contacts inside are black - this
is a new cap and rotor. I scrape the contacts and
rotor tip off. The optical mechanism seems tight.
The wheel seems to rotate a mm or two each way,
but otherwise it seems secure.

I start up, and drive around. Still sputtering,
like running on 2 or 3 cylinders now. I shut down
and let sit for an hour. I start up and it runs
great. I drive around for 1/2 hour with no ill
effects; it pulls like crazy again.

This morning it was a very hard start and when it
finally turned over, it felt like only 1 cylinder.
I couldn't drive it. I shut it off and tried a
few more times and couldn't get it to catch.

Any ideas? Does it sound like something with the
XR700 setup?

Thanks,
Stefano
Oakland, CA