I can't explain the problem that initially occurred after your long drive, but at this point your plugs may be fouled and might require cleaning or replacement. Perhaps something moved out of alignment, or consider that the problem is not ignition related. Crane has a hotline to call for tech support, and after you check the stuff I mentioned, perhaps a call would do some good. I'm very familiar with the Crane stuff, so let me know if there's anything else I might do to help.

Regards,

Dean

At 08:52 PM 8/12/2002, you wrote:

Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 15:30:38 -0700
From: "Stefano Iachella"<iachella@domain.elided>
Subject: Suspecting problems with Crane 700

Hey cats,

Can anyone with experience with the Crane XR700
system read this and comment please?

I have a recent rebuild (under 350 miles so far)
on my 74 GTV, and had my builder put the XR700
kit on my Bosch distributor and a PS91 coil. I'm
breaking it in, and it pulls great. I go on a
100 mile trip this weekend, and on the way back
I get some hesistating. This is about 300 miles
into the rebuild. It feels a bit like the old
low fuel pressure sputter. Just a slight
hesistation, but I made it back home.

I had seen this with low tank and bad filters, so
I go to top off the tank, and it is sputtering
bad at this point. No change. I am thinking maybe
the little wheel or the optical mechanism is
loose or dirty, so I pull the distributor cap off.
First off, the 4 contacts inside are black - this
is a new cap and rotor. I scrape the contacts and
rotor tip off. The optical mechanism seems tight.
The wheel seems to rotate a mm or two each way,
but otherwise it seems secure.

I start up, and drive around. Still sputtering,
like running on 2 or 3 cylinders now. I shut down
and let sit for an hour. I start up and it runs
great. I drive around for 1/2 hour with no ill
effects; it pulls like crazy again.

This morning it was a very hard start and when it
finally turned over, it felt like only 1 cylinder.
I couldn't drive it. I shut it off and tried a
few more times and couldn't get it to catch.

Any ideas? Does it sound like something with the
XR700 setup?

Thanks,
Stefano
Oakland, CA