George Graves
'85 GTI Junker
'86 Alfa GTV-6 One Beautiful Lady (of THAT certain age)

On Friday, August 9, 2002, at 07:29 PM, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 14:41:59 EDT
From: Alfanovice@domain.elided
Subject: piece of crap junker

In a message dated 8/9/02 12:34:11 PM Central Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<< The older I get, the more I think that you need a piece of crap junker
with good AC and an auto trannie as the daily driver, at least in the
urban areas. When I move to rural Montana (or wherever I start my own
militia), I will ride a Ducati as my daily driver. >>
I don't know how old you are Luke, but from personal experience a piece of
crap junker (I call it my "town car") is an indispensable part of one's
automotive stable. This is a car you keep just running with no guilt,
knowing that it is already worth less than $900, hauls compost from the
nursery, and will be run into the ground when the next repair becomes too
costly. I prefer a manual transmission however, because automatics are meant
to fail and strand you whereas manuals provide more flexibility and fun (see
recent week-long thread re: shifting methods). To paraphrase a Western Oil
commercial from the seventies, "If you don't already own a piece of crap
junker, get one! You'll love doing business with nothing to lose."
Brian Ancelin
Denton, Tx
80 320i (piece of crap junker)
88 325i (wife's daily driver/runs great looks like crap)
88 vw cabriolet (battery draining vampire)
70 vw beetle (blitz, the Hawaiian beach car)
71 Alfa spider (still a topless beauty)
all with manual transmissions