Auto Trans 164 Stumbling

Hey Digest buddies,
My 1991 164 with auto trans is exhibiting a rather irritating symptom lately.
When I'm stopped at a stot light or stop sign (in drive) the car kind of
hiccups a little every minute or so, then when I begin to drive away from the
stop the engine stumbles pretty baddly.
I can make the stumbling not happen if I allow the car to start moving with
the engine at idle. Just creeping forward (no pressure on the gas pedal) when
I take my foot off of the brake. If I let the car travel twenty feet or so at
engine idle speed the stumble doesn't happen.
What is doing this?
I did an oil change yesterday and spend a great deal of time cleaning around
the auto transmission (there was a ton of sand and powersteering fluid caked
on it from previous owners neglect). Today the stumbling is the worst I've
seen it. This has been going on for a couple weeks but to a lesser degree
than exhibited today.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sincerely,
Jim Oiler