Re: She cannah take tha' mooch pawr-r-r, Cahptain!

Dimbulb thanks the many people who responded to his plea, and greatly
appreciates the schooling.  It looks like the short term solution will be to
stick the 55w H1 bulbs back in.  For the longer term, I'll split the high-beam
circuit into left/right circuits, each with it's own fuse and relay.  There
are a few other projects ahead of that in the queue, so that will probably not
be addressed until this winter.

A quick reply on some concerns expressed --

The wire runs are as short as they can be.  The relays are mounted next to the
battery, which is near behind the left headlights.  The longest runs are about
4 feet to the right headlights.

The supply lines (one per circuit) from the battery to the relays are about 1
foot total, with the fuse block in the middle.  The high-beam circuit was in
place, I just upgraded the wiring to the lights, so it was easiest to add a
line for the low-beam circuit rather than replacing both with one big 10 g
feed to the fuse block.

The 12 g wire runs all the way to the H1 high-beam bulbs, it's not spliced.
On the H4 hi/lo bulbs it is spliced down to the 14 g wire that was in the
plug, as I have not yet found the large size female connectors needed.  Once I
do I'll eliminate the splices.  Any recommendations on a source?

The ground circuit is 12 g and runs to the battery.

I did not use ceramic connectors for the 100w bulbs, I used metal ones
soldered to the supply wires.  I have not seen ceramic connectors, but I tend
to buy wiring supplies at AutoZone or the like.

The alternator is the original style Bosch 45 amp external reg.  An upgrade is
on "the list", but since the a/c is currently not functional, these headlights
are the only real power hog on the car.

For those who asked -- no, the car in question was not my GTV.  But the GTV is
scheduled for a similar lighting upgrade this winter, with 100w H1 E-code
lamps replacing the feeble "fog lights" in the grill, so it too will benefit
from your help!

Cheers,
Tony