RE: She cannah take tha' mooch pawr-r-r, Cahptain!

> where my experience falls short is i'm not sure how much current you can
> safely draw through 12 gauge wire, but i'd think it can take 30 amps. any
> EE types who can answer that?

Look at http://209.208.232.71/pages/383.cfm.  Depending on the insulation
you have, 30 amps might be a bit high assuming that the wire will be in a
bundle and that the under-hood temps could be higher than 30 deg C.  The
chart bisically gives the current capability before the insulation melts, so
you don't even want to be close to that.  Also, the closer you are to the
limit, the more power you'll waste heating up the wire instead of lighting
your lights.  Note that 14 AWG wire is rated for 27 amps, but only allowed
to carry 15 by code in housing applications.

chris
84 GTV6