Spider Crawling too Low

My 82 Spider is too close to the ground!

After much review of digest postings I decided to buy Dunlop Sport A2s 195/60/14 to replace the 185/70/14s. As expected, the speedometer is off (but it was already) and the car sits lower and corners much sharper. With a sump guard I must be careful where and how fast I drive or I will scrape the bottom. In fact, I travelled safely, to Alfiesta and back to Calgary AB, all of 4,986 miles without incident.

Two days ago, I didn't notice the RR crossing cover plate which was sticking up. I hit it hard and the car was lifted in the air. Now I have a hood with a ding from the inside, a hairline crack in the exhaust header and a broken fan shroud.

I measured the trim level in the front according to the manual. E is 35 mm or 150-115. The book suggests 24 +/- 5mm. The lowest part of the sump sits 105 mm from the ground and the sump guard has 80mm clearance. I have no reason to believe that any other part of the suspension is not stock or broken. New engine mounts are on order.

How can I get more clearance, short of buying higher profile tires?

Brian Pleet
82 Spider