Re: Engine Size

Message text written by INTERNET:alfa@domain.elided
>>Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 12:25:55 -0600
From: Brian Pleet <bpleet@domain.elided>
Subject: Engine Size

I just received an email from Elvira at Fiat Italy about my car. She says
my car was a 1300 Junior 1982 Spider. I always assumed that my car was a 2
litre, but that was it seems just an assumption. How can you tell the
displacement of your engine?

Brian Pleet
82 Spider (size unknown)<<

You can look at engine numbers or symbols on the head, both of which are
usually covered in oil and muck, but the method I always use is to look at
the distance between the head to block joint and the top of the water pump.

Less than 1 inch = 1600
More than 1 inch = 1750 or 2000 but the 1750 has the early removable
cartridge oil filter whereas the 2000 has the later spin-on type.  (1.8
Alfettas have the later oil filter, but there is always a helpful "1.8" or
"2.0" cast into the head.)
No distance at all (i.e. head to block joint is at the same point as the
top of the water pump) = 1300

Chris Sweetapple
Highwood Motor Company
Swansea, U.K.