Re:Air coming out of the cam cover?

More blowby then the PCV system can handle.  I worked in a dealership
from 1986 to 1993. Starting in about 1985  through 86 or 87 we had much
trouble with excessive blow by and oil consumption(<500 mi. a Qt.) with
the 2L.  On inspection the piston to liner clearance was always! 2 to 3
times spec.  The replacements were commonly not much better.  The problem
was so common I just bought a blowby gage and used it for my warranty
check out  I don't remember the CFM level I used to condemn them but it
was never wrong.  I have trouble imaging techs i met from other local
dealerships going to the trouble of measuring new piston/liner sets so I
would bet a number were rebuilt without the problem being solved.  It
took 2 and sometimes 3 sets to make up one good set.
As an aside the worst engine to get liner sets for were 3L in 1992, I
went through 6 sets and only had 5 piston/ liners I would install in a
car.  It was so bad that Dave Rogers, head of "technical services",
called me to tell me that I was measuring them wrong.  It took a trip to
U of Md tech library to photocopy text books on measuring to shut him up.

Chris Hall