Re:Air coming out of the cam cover?

Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2002 21:17:27 -0400
From: christian147@domain.elided
Subject: Re:Air coming out of the cam cover?

More blowby then the PCV system can handle. I worked in a dealership
from 1986 to 1993. Starting in about 1985 through 86 or 87 we had much
trouble with excessive blow by and oil consumption(<500 mi. a Qt.) with
the 2L. On inspection the piston to liner clearance was always! 2 to 3
times spec. The replacements were commonly not much better. The problem
was so common I just bought a blowby gage and used it for my warranty
check out I don't remember the CFM level I used to condemn them but it
was never wrong. I have trouble imaging techs i met from other local
dealerships going to the trouble of measuring new piston/liner sets so I
would bet a number were rebuilt without the problem being solved. It
took 2 and sometimes 3 sets to make up one good set. As an aside the worst engine to get liner sets for were 3L in 1992, I
went through 6 sets and only had 5 piston/ liners I would install in a
car. It was so bad that Dave Rogers, head of "technical services",
called me to tell me that I was measuring them wrong. It took a trip to
U of Md tech library to photocopy text books on measuring to shut him up.

Chris Hall

In the general interest, as well as my own.. (I'm likely to be doing this on my 77 Spider soon)
could you tell us the proper way to measure the piston clearance? I certainly don't want to rebuild
the motor twice..

Jon