re: GTV questions

Dan Walker asked for opinions on the choice between 1969 and '71 GT
Veloces.  He said "I really like the seats and taillights of the 69, not to
mention the floor mounted pedals.   However,  I'm wondering if the 71 might
be a better choice in the long run with it's later braking system."

I believe Dan is in the USA, as I am, so my recommendation reflects
differences between the cars as they were configured here in those two
model years.  While everyone has their own priorities, the choice is a
no-brainer, in my opinion: the '71 is the car to have.  I wouldn't consider
a 1969 US-model Alfa of any type because of the hassles of maintaining that
model's hydraulic system, which is unnecessarily complicated and unique to
that year and market.  New brake master cylinders for the 1969 US model are
highly NLA, and the supply of rebuildable cores is small and shrinking.
Dan's criteria include excellent brakes for track days, but to ensure that
with a '69 GTV might at some point require converting to a racing-type dual
master cylinder system.  That might make sense for a dedicated race car,
but few people want to go to such lengths with a car that gets driven on
the street.

Besides the brakes, I prefer the '71's slim bumpers and the injection
system has some useful improvements.

Dana Loomis
'71 1750 GT Veloce