re: GTV questions

Dan writes:

>I've read about the ATE 4-piston calipers sold at Alfa Stop ( UK )
>and by Dean Cains on this digest  and I'm wondering if the floor mounted
>master cylinder is up to task.
>
>If anyone has any input which might help me make my decision it would be
>greatly appreciated.  Also, If anyone knows of either of these two models
>for sale I'd like to know as well.

Well, you did say "input which might help"...  4 piston Ate calipers for solid
discs can be had from many a junkyard, look on the front of early 70's BMW 6
cyl cars.  They're dual circuit, with 2 fluid lines rather than one, so you
need to fab a splitter (on the BMW each front brake is served by 2 separate
master cylinder circuits).  It's also possible to adapt the later BMW vented
discs and and their calipers.  I think you also need to use a larger MC from a
later GTV or Spider when you swap to 4 piston calipers.  Given the
interchangeability of Ate components, it might even be possible to use the BMW
MC, and have the redundant brake circuit.

So, I guess my vote would be for the '71, so you can have the hanging
pedals...

On a tangential note -- I have a friend who has a 911 "RSR" (recreated, not
original).  It has a punched out 2.7 making well over 200hp, and spends a lot
of time on the track.  The first time I saw the car with the wheels off, I was
surprised to see the same (or at least damn similar) single circuit 2 piston
Ate calipers, front and rear, as are on my GTV.  I asked him if he was
planning to upgrade the brakes, and he said he saw no need -- the brakes on
the car were great, they don't fade and have never given him a moment of
concern, track or street.

Tony
Portland, OR
70 2800 CS