re: Setting Static ignition timing?

Kevin writes:

>My book has a handwritten note next to the text above that says "WRONG -
>turn distributor body clockwise".  I vaguely remember writing that note a
>long time ago when performing the same task.
>
>Can someone out there validate the correct direction to turn the
>distributor body?  I'm interpreting the turning of the distributor body in
>relation to the engine block - left is anticlockwise, right is clockwise.

Kevin, I think you were on the right path back there in the mists of time...
The rotor turns clockwise when the engine is running, so to get the points to
their opening position, you need to retard the timing to get the points ahead
of the rotor (clockwise), then advance the timing until the points just open
(anticlockwise).

I believe Autobook is published in the UK, where they do all things automotive
in the opposite direction... ;-)

Tony
Portland, OR
70 2800 CS