Setting Static ignition timing?

Kevin,
       It does not really matter which way you turn it.  Just turn it back
and forth, turning the light on and off until you get it exactly at the point
where the points are opening and shutting off the light.  When the light is
on, the points are closed.  When the light goes off, the points are open and
that is also the point at which the field in the coil will collapse and fire
the spark plug.
       Bottom line is, I guess the way you turn it depends on weather the
points are open or closed before you start.  The rotor turns clockwise.  So
if the points are closed, you turn the body of the distributor anti clockwise
to open the points.  If the points are open, you would turn the body of the
distributor clockwise to close them.
       You can do all this with the distributor cap off so you can watch the
points and rotor to make sure you are doing what you think you are doing.

       Ain't points wonderful?  You cannot do this with an electronic
ignition, or at least not the ones I have removed from various Alfas to put
in a real distributor.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City