From: Storhok, Eric (E.M.) [mailto:estorhok@domain.elided]
Sent: Wednesday, July 24, 2002 11:13 AM
To: 'alfa'; 'dbesic@domain.elided'
Subject: Importing vehicles...

Darren asks about the "once-in-a-lifetime" importation rule.... I don't
think its exactly that, but here's an EPA web site that does tell you how to
do it:
http://www.epa.gov/OMS/imports/index.htm

The web page is pretty handy, and informative.  And if you know anything
about the EPA, know that the Office of Mobile Sources if FULL of
enthusiasts!  Many of you know one of them....

Anyway, the car Darren asks about would have to be brought in by an approved
company, which is listed on the page, and modified to meet the regulations
to get the certificate.  Hard?  Hardly- remember that the ES30 is pretty
identical to the Milano/75 Verde.  Put the catalyst and O2 sensors to be
exactly the same, and I think getting the certificate should be pretty easy.
Depending on the year the car was made (forgive me for not knowing the
specifics of the Model), if it were a '91, then the system from a 164 would
be a good substitute.

Go to the web page, ask questions, and just do it!

Eric Storhok
Core Emissions and Fuel Economy Team
Advanced Powertrain Engineering
(313)33x75011