Re: Alfa Romeo SZ (ES30)

As I heard the story, the once in a lifetime thing was targetted at US
servicemen coming home from overseas with a car bought "over there".
However, enough people have had enough trouble bringing in certain
non-US cars that I suspect that you can't legally license the car w/o
following the federalization cycle these days.  You *might* be able to
get a waiver for DOT requirements (i.e., no crash test), but it doesn't
appear you can escape EPA requirements (smog test), unless the car is
more than 20 years old.  The grey market industry isn't what it was
15 years ago.

Since the SZ is essentially a 75/Milano, which was federalized, I'd bet
you could talk your way past the DOT regs, and could easily retrofit
the car to meet the EPA regs using 75 parts.  Given enough money, you
can bring in anything.  There are at least three McLaren F1s in this
country, legally.

Of course, one could probably take a $1500 Milano, throw about $5000 at
it, and end up with a car that would be an SZ in all but looks.

james montebello
'84 gtv6