Re: Alfa Romeo SZ (ES30)

Once in a lifetime importation exemption?? Where do I sign up?

FWIW, there's at least one SZ in the USA.

--On Wednesday, July 24, 2002 11:35 AM -0400 alfa-digest <owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided> wrote:

Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 00:44:55 -0400
From: DBesic@domain.elided
Subject: Alfa Romeo SZ (ES30)

To our friends across the big pond -

I've been enamored with the SZ (aka "il Mostro") ever since they were
introduced in 1989 and was truly annoyed they were never offered in the
U.S. I had given up the possibility of ever owning one until this past
weekend when a friend had enlightened me about the "once-in-a-lifetime"
exemption available when importing non-certified cars.  Suddenly my
imagination went into overdrive.  Hmm... 210HP 3.0L V6, 0-100km/h in 7.0
secs, top speed of 275 km/h, composite body... it just boggles the mind.

I realize that something like only 1036 SZ's were ever built and they are
considered somewhat collectible.... but just for giggles, do they ever
come up for sale and what seems to be the going rate for an above-average
specimen?  There seems to be a higher concentration of registered SZ's in
England, Netherlands and Germany, with a handful spread around the rest
of the world (EXCEPT the U.S!)  Any assistance would be most appreciated
by me, (although you may cause my wife great anxiety.)

Darren Besic
Batavia, IL, USA