Re:Crankshaft Pilot Bearing

This story might tell you how important this bushing is.  My niece's mini
Ford pickup blew up.  It had just been to the Ford dealer for a replacement
oil pan gasket.  After the blow-up, she asked me to go with her to the Ford
dealer on her behalf.  When we got there I asked to see the engine.  (They
had pulled it out, then told her $3500. to fix it.)

There it was on the shop floor, upside down, pan off.  From 5' away I
immediately noticed the oil pump screen was full of junk - - old gasket
pieces!  There were also some pieces in the bottom of the pan laying nearby,
hoever the current gasket was still on the pan.  The dumb mechanic had no
qualms about letting me see this, so WE HAD THEM.  Obviously they had let
pieces of the old gasket fall into the pan originally, which clogged up the
pump, and the engine seized.  Therefore this Ford dealer reluctantly
replaced my niece's engine.  She was given a 30 day warranty,which we
accepted.

About 3 mos. later the transmission failed.  Made a lot of noise, leaked
oil, etc.   She took it to a different Ford dealer, who pulled the gearbox,
and told us,  "There is no pilot bearing in the end of the crankshaft!"
Obviously the first dealer either REMOVED IT INTENTIONALLY or somehow it was
removed.  Hard to believe it was never installed.  If not intentional, this
may just be a reflection on the quality of their mechanics  (It's a hell of
a lot easier to install a gearbox if the pilot bearing's left out).
Obviously we were stuck (you win the battle but lose the war...).  As a side
note, Boomershine Ford in Atlanta no longer exists.  Maybe they lost the
war.

That's how important a crankshaft pilot bushing is.

Mr. Goose