Re: Crankshaft Pilot Bearing

Jason,
       Normally, the pilot bushing is replaced during a clutch job.  If the
old pilot bearing meets the dimensional spec in the manual (don't have mine
with me right now), it's OK to reuse.  But for ~$10 dollars, do you want to
risk having to pull the transmisson to replace it at a later date?  Common
wisdom is to replace the pressure plate/disc/throw-out bearing/pilot bearing
as a set.  It's more mental insurance than anything else. (Personally, I like
sanity even though I'm a three time Alfa owner - seems like a contradiction.
Huh!)  But in a pinch (ie your broken down in the middle of nowhere and can't
get a new pilot bearing, you can use the old one to get back on the road.
       I does not require any lubrication (that would only end up on the
friction disc and glaze it).
       Keep in mind that if the pilot bushing goes out of dimensional spec,
it will cause premature wear of the transmission input shaft (VERY
EXPENSIVE), excessive loading on the transmission input bearing (due to
excess wobble) and fracturing of the disc hub (again due to excessive wobble).
       Based on my recent '89 Spider clutch experience, I would strongly
recommend checking the input bearing to the transmission when you do a clutch
job.  If the input bearing goes, it will cause premature wear of the pilot
bushing and fracturing of the disc hub (kind of the reverse of the pilot
bearing failure).  If either one starts to go, your in big trouble.  So why
take chances?  But it's your car and your choices.

Cheers,
Charlie