Re: 73 GTV Question: Oil soaking the plugs

G'day Mark,

Where in Oz are you? Are you a member of your local
AROCA ?

>> I am new with Alfa 105's (or any Alfa for that
>> matter)and as I am still

Welcome to the fold. May you never be cured.

>> am concerned about the amount of motor oil soaking
>> the spark plugs on my 73 2000 GTV.  Two of the
>> plugs are actually soaking in oil.

I presume that you're referring to oil gathering in
the wells within which the plugs are fitted?

IME, this can happen through a number of ways. The
simplest, and probably quite common, is that oil has
simply been spilled during a refill or top-up of the
car's oil.

If something isn't buttoned down properly on the head
or the cam cover, then oil leaks can and will occur.
Also, if the o-rings within the head gasket become
distorted, you can get some oil seepage, often
degenerating into a severe leak, usually out of the
side of the engine; check around the exhaust system
for this sort of thing.

I have also seen hairline cracks in the engine's head
as well, where coolant seeps through, and I suppose
that with a defective head oil could similarly leak
out and into the wells.

>> I apologise that this is such a silly question,
>> but this is my first ever Alfa and I really
>> would hate to find that my engine is shot
>> (though it is running okay).  I plan to restore
>> in the near future and I use this car as a daily

The only silly questions are those that you don't ask.

g.
Gary Stark
gstark@domain.elided
http://redbacksWeb.com