RE: Alfa Pleasure, Alfa Pain...

Jon et al;

My old Milano had those similar symptoms.  Turned out to be the oil pressure
sender leaking like a 5 year old on a 2 hour car
ride.  Only leaked under pressure and not while sitting.   $50 later I was
on the road with my cheap Milano as a daily beater that's more fun than a
usual commuter car.

The cam seals are going to have the same effect.  They will only leak while
under pressure.  Check back there and you can see the oil residue on there
from the leak.

Often people forget to check for the rubber ring from the old filter (like a
digester that helped me service my truck, names withheld to protect the
guilty).  Again it only leaked under pressure.

IMO:

1) That's too much oil to be burned in such a short period of time.  It
would be smoking like John Houseman in a Smith Barney invests in Phillip
Morris commercial.
2) The compression is too high for it to be rings
3) I agree with the opinion that seals couldn't leak that much oil.  If they
did you'd have under 100lb compression.
4) The plugs would oil foul and the car wouldn't even run.

Just giving you some things to look at before you rip the engine apart.

-Peter