RE: Alfa Pleasure, Alfa Pain...

Well, I promised an update..

Things I've learned about the car..

Good stuff:
The body, though there may have been some mild impacts fore and aft at some point, has next to no frame distortion.. There dosen't seem to be much more rust than I already knew about. (very little, mostly cosmetic)

The thermostatic actuator, which I presumed dead.. seems to be at least somewhat alive.. I managed to look at it and think it was leaking from the capillary to bulb joint.. the "white stuff" I see is actually coming from AROUND the mounting flange to bulb joint, and is probably just coolant residue. (coolant can leak there, can't it?)

I pulled the Spica pump barometric capsule, and the oil dosen't smell like gas, there's still a spring for the altitude compensator.

Generally, there dosen't seem to be any hidden surprises with the rest of the car.. there's oil in the trans and diff.. no major noises in the back.. not excessive ones anyway up front.. Clutch is good (maybe some throwout noise, and input shaft noise) u-joints seem OK, brake pads are good, with maybe some need of a turn on the rotors. I felt a little side to side play on the rear wheels, but he said "if they aren't making noise, the wheel bearings are probably ok". Maybe a bit of pinion seal leak.. see grease on the body, but seemingly not exiting now from the seal area... General, expected stuff.

The not so good:
The smog pre test came up GROSS POLLUTER in all catagories but NO.. HC's were 4.5 times pass, 1.5 times Gross Polluter.. (I know the NO is low now, wait till it's leaned out where it should be..)

The head is definately not oil tight, it needs a full rework.

There might be some more problems, i.e. rings/pistons.. And, as we slide down that slippery slope.. what else should we do while it's already apart on a engine that the PO's let get 3 quarts low on a possibly regular basis? Though it sounds good.. no knocks, or other funny noises..

The thermo actuator is still working, but it may be leaking anyway. On a nearly cold engine, on a high 80's day, it was only 23-24mm out from the flange.. still haven't taken a hot pump gap measurement yet.. but I know it's running rich from the smog test..

Cat converter is probably the original 25 yr old item, and probably a dead doornail. Haven't seen it heat noticably more than the rest of the exhaust, wouldn't it glow red with all that oil and rich running if it had some life in it?

Prior Owner is apparently remorseful about the problems, and wants to make some kind of good on it.. though is reluctant to fork over the money and take the car back. He is also leaving the country for a month, starting Monday!! He's trying to contact the friend they bought it from, to find out about the smog test it allegdlly passed this December when title changed hands.. but no record of shows up with DMV. (!!??) He does seem sincere about working something out. Now that the car seems in better shape than I feared.. I might be willing to do something like that myself.. still not sure exactly what. We have tomorrow and the weekend to work on that.. (his wife will still be here while he's gone)
Who ever said Alfa ownership wasn't interesting!! ;-)

Jon and Marcia..
77 Spider