Re[2]: Latest Alfa Owner and Spider Speedos...

On Wed, 10 Jul 2002 14:21:45 -0700 Jon Pike <jhpike@domain.elided> wrote:
> Not to say,  that a good joint can't last the life of the car..  but
> marginal ones won't.   Miltary and aircraft electronics are typically
> dipped with a heavy varnish like coating,  gluing the parts down so they
> can't vibrate and eventually crack the joints..  Of course,  this is a
> hassle and expensive,  and probably dosen't make sense for a car..

actually, what's common is to pot things in epoxy; i've seen it in engine
computers (it actually makes life difficult in SCCA tech. we can tell when
a Miata driver has chipped his computer rather easily, but the Neon
computers are in an inch deep layer of epoxy.)

richard