HELP: 164 vapor cannister!

I really need some input from the 164 experts out there!

Tell me if I'm right.....the vapor cannister in my 164 is located right
behind the rear passenger seats, underneath the speaker shelf, and is
accessible through the trunk/boot.  Right?

Well, my vapor cannister has a wicked bad rattle that annoys the shit
out of me!!!  In fact, thinking it was defective, I replaced it with a
new one.  But it, too, rattles like a m* f*!  (can you tell I am
frustrated?)

I've had other 164's, and never heard this before.  What's going on?
Do I really need this cannister?  Can I just rip it out?  Can it be
bypassed?

Please help me so I can have my driving pleasure restored.

Thanks,

Ross (1991 164L)
http://sbc.yahoo.com