re: Changing carb rubbers/carb support rod

The manifold has to be off the engine before you can change the rubber carb
mounts because several of the nuts are  on the back of the manifold and
can't be reached.  Given that, the easiest way to do the job is to remove
the manifold with the carbs and the bottom section of the air cleaner still
attached and disassemble it all on the workbench.  Be sure to have a new
manifold gasket on hand.

The carb support rod is a standard factory piece that was once part of your
car.  You're right; without it there is too much stress on the rubber
blocks and they are prone to failure.  If you find a source for them let me
know; the ones for 1750/2000 cars are hard to find.

Dana Loomis
North Carolina, USA