Re: All this talk about cat converters

Hi John'
       God!  What a horror story.  But it might not be as bad as your friend
thinks.  First of all, maybe it's not bad that the cat shell was empty.  If
the sulfur content in the SAfrican fuel is high, that might have polluted the
catalyst anyway.
       Do you have wide filler holes for leaded gas tanks and narrow filler
holes for unleaded gas tanks?  In the US, during the conversion from leaded
to unleaded back in the '70s, the narrow (or filler restriction) was used to
prevent putting gas from a leaded pump into an unleaded car.
       Unleaded costs more in the US because it takes more refining to get an
equivalent octane.  Tetra-ethyl lead is a very cheap octane booster.
Unfortunatley it has all sorts of nasty side effects, so I for one am glad
it's gone in the US and we are fully converted to unleaded.
       In my view, the push for lower emissions in the US was actually a
blessing for car enthusiasts.  But being the "harry knuckled" crew that we
are, we're too stupid to recognize it.   The adoption of fuel injection,
electronic ignition, knock sensors and all the other electronic performance
enhancements would NEVER have come about in the US without the EPAs push for
cleaner air.  If it weren't for the EPA, I'd still be rebuilding the stupid
leaky gaskets on my Rochester Quadrajet every other year.
       New catalytic convertors aren't that expensive if you don't have to
buy them from the factory.  Have your friend check out

http://www.randomtechnology.com/audi.html

or

http://www.discountconverter.com/

       My guess is that once he has a new catalytic coverter installed and
passes European emissions, they aren't going to look under the car and say
"Hey, that's not the stock Audi unit!  This isn't legal!"  If he could get
the car to Europe (probably won't let him do it without passing smog first),
he might be able to pick up an Audi cat con from a wrecking yard cheap!

Cheers,
Charlie

PS  I don't know what the bill of sale looks like in SAfrica.  In the US, the
manufacturer has to call out all the line items.  So you will see a statement
about the emissions control equipment.  If it says it has a catalytic
converter, then it will have it.  Did your friends bill of sale contain any
reference to the details of the emissions equipment?