RE: used catalytic converters... a "NO-NO"

<snip>
> I don't buy the idea that "if you let one person modify the car, you
> open the floodgate...". Let me modify the car the way I want it on the
> condition I will pass the emissions test. It may not be a stringent a
> test as what the manufacturers have to go through, but if you can pass
> every year, so I don't see what the issue is.
<snip>

I'm with Zamani on this one.

Manufacturers have to go through all this emissions certification so they
can demonstrate that they can build a car that will pass emissions for 50k+
miles.

So if I bring in a car to get tested with 50k miles on it, who cares how it
passed?  As long as it passes it should be fine.

The only possible argument here might be that manufacturers certify
emissions for a variety of conditions that a simple emissions test might not
pick up, however that's hard to swallow in a state that just implemented
complex, expensive rolling emissions testing so that the emissions test
would accurately reflect real world conditions.

I also don't buy the notion of not being able to install used converters.
If somebody buys a car, drives it out of the showroom, and totals it, then
what's wrong with using any of the emissions equipment off it on the same
type of car?

Imo, some of these laws are written with clean air in mind, most of them are
written to put money in somebody's pocket.

bs