Some details of why

I don't want to carry this emissions mods thing too long, as its somewhat off topic...

But the basic claim that if you pass the simple emissions test, then you should be ok is not correct.  To really pass emissions, there are a number of test, but one in particular that you should pass- the test lasts about an hour, and includes 2 starts, one cold, one after a 10min soak.  The cold one is the hard one...  While its not hard to start an engine, its hard to start and keep the emissions low.  So how the catalysts light off is PART of the actual test to see if the system is actually capable of making the numbers.

Next, for the emissions tests I've seen, you get 2 points, steady state- one idle, one either high idle or light cruise.  To really pass the standard, you need to keep low output during a long drive cycle, including all accels and decels, marinating the catalyst temps so that they work.  I could go on, but needless to say, just passing a sniffer test means that your hardware is worth *&$*^&.  On top of all that, to meet the law, we have to pass at 100k miles.

This does not even mention evap.

Now, can an electromotive system do this?  No.  It does not control EGR, Purge, rear O2 sensor, nor is the base closed loop control very good.  I've looked at it, it works, but by no means is it designed to pass a full test.  And if you drive your car in any manner except a light idle or cruise, then how can you prove that you really are passing emissions.

The test is in place to spot check the system quickly.  New cars also come with OBD, which "tests" the car away from the testing facility.  MUCH more goes into this that you may think...

One more non Alfa thing- the code to the EPA thing- we don't give them the code, we do tell them how some of it works, but they do NOT have access to our powertrain control system.  Neither does CARB.

Sorry, but this is what I do for a living.

Eric Storhok
Core Emissions and Fuel Economy Team
Advanced Powertrain Engineering
(313)33x75011