re: used catalytic converters... a "NO-NO"

Hi All,

I think the idea of not letting you modify your car is ridiculous. I'm
all for emmissions testing on ALL cars, with the exception of older
cars which did not have to comply when they were sold. It maybe a
"dirty way" for the state to generate revenue, but at least it keeps me
from smelling unadultarated gasoline from the exhaust pipes of other
cars. I keep seeing kit cars (which are not old) with carbs and
superchargers, hmm..... do you think they will pass a smog test?

As long as I can get my car to pass the emissions test, I think that's
good enough. And the last time my Milano was at the testing station, it
was pretty clean like 10ppm of HC and undetectable CO. Way way below
the average and allowable exhaust emission limit for a car of that
vintage.

I don't buy the idea that "if you let one person modify the car, you
open the floodgate...". Let me modify the car the way I want it on the
condition I will pass the emissions test. It may not be a stringent a
test as what the manufacturers have to go through, but if you can pass
every year, so I don't see what the issue is.

It's funny because if let say a stock 1992 Spider Motronic can pass the
test with average readings and if it can get better results with a
Haltech E6K efi, it is still illegal to use the Haltech because you are
tampering with the emission equipment and you may blow up planet earth.

Kit cars should be banned if they can't pass emissions testing,
regardless if "there's only a handful of them". Pass the test or hang
the keys.

Regards,

Zamani
http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com