Catalyst metals...

Mining catalyst can be a big business!  Not only is there Platinum, you'll also find Palladium and Rhodium in them!

Depending on the age, there isn't that much metal in them.  Not enough for a single person to recycle in an economic manner...  And I don't know much about modern mining- but there the concentrations after being crushed might be higher than raw mining material....  I think I've heard that to get a few oz of gold, you need tons of raw material.

I've mentioned this a couple of times, but the 2 major ways cats age are poisoning and over heating...  Neither of those actually remove the metal from the surface- one blocks the surface, the other sinters the small metal deposits into larger ones, which reduce the active sites.  Either way, the precious metal is still there.

Eric Storhok
Core Emissions and Fuel Economy Team
Advanced Powertrain Engineering
(313)33x75011