Re: used catalytic converters... a "NO-NO"

But the fact of the matter is that they're not making anyone buy a new one--you have to remember that in much of this country, there still isn't such a thing as an annual smog check. People in those areas will go to the trouble of fabricating a straight pipe to replace a plugged cat rather than paying $$$ for a new one. Additionally, in those counties here in Ohio that do have smog checks, you get a two-year exemption if you spend $300 "trying" to get your car to pass the test. If I'm a bumpkin trying to spend $300 to get my exemption, I'm not going to spend $458 on a new catalyst. I'm going to get an oxygen sensor, plugs, wires, cap & rotor, etc, etc, beat around the bush, avoid fixing the actual problem, so I can spend the minimum $300 and get my exemption. But if I could get a good used catalyst from a late-model, low-mileage wreck in a junkyard for say, $50, maybe that's one of the first things I'd do, and maybe it'd actually get my car to pass the test, and I wouldn't have to spend $300 after all!

--On Friday, June 21, 2002 5:57 AM -0400 alfa-digest <owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided> wrote:

Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 22:13:23 -0700
From: Jon Pike <jhpike@domain.elided>
Subject: re: used catalytic converters... a "NO-NO"

Are you serious?  That's ridiculous.  And easily unconstitutional, I
would think.  I wonder how many more people would keep their cars
emissions legal rather than removing a plugged-up cat if they could
get a good used one at a salvage yard.

So if I were to go to the junkyard and pull a cat off say, a
late-model, low-mileage Mustang to try and legalize say, an '83
gray-market 3.5L BMW, they'd say, "No, we can't sell you that"?????

For crying out loud, what are they hoping to accomplish??

I agree with where you're coming from..  though if the old cat is pretty
much shot.. your'e not accomplishing
much..  Perhaps that's their thinking,  make 'em buy a new one, and
hopefully we'll get 50-60K more miles of smog reduction.

I wonder how many are laying around in junkyards..  vaugely remember
something about them being recycled heavily..  they get sold to one
company that has tens of thousands or more, in piles..  waiting to be
recycled for all that platinum.  I also remember that the place was
supposedly the third largest "platinum mine" on the planet,  by volume
of metal recovered (?!?) or something like that..