156 Acceleration Problem

Alfisti,

My 156 V6 has given me 80 000 trouble-free kilometres, but is now exhibiting
some strange behaviour.  When I accelerate, she pulls well, but between 5000
and 5200 rpm it feels like something's holding the car back.  Once past 5200
she has power again all the way up to 7000.  I've seen the various posts
discussing fuel filter/delivery issues, but she also lacks power if my
foot's flat, regardless of revs.  If I need to overtake, I've had to learn
not to bury the throttle, but rather to use 90%, and change up just before
5000.  Incredibly frustrating in an Alfa with an engine that usually just
wants to sing.  Other things I've noticed is that the car seems better with
a full tank, and at night / in the rain.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Paul
Johannesburg, South Africa

'99 156 V6