Re: steering effort

Esteemed Digesti,
Yesterday I had the opportunity to drive a 74 GTV, recently restored. The
car's steering was much easier than my spider's and I was wondering if anyone
on the list had experience with what could cause resistance in the steering
mechanicals. The spider has been lowered, W & D springs, HD sway bars, konis
with 195-70 tires, properly pressured.  I suspect the tie-rods are on their
way south, but tie-rod binding doesn't seem to make much sense. The steering
box has been oiled; all other aspects of the suspension are stock.

Secondly, I have purchased a used steering box from a later spider that has
an adjustment nut on the top. Equivalent lash adjustment must be accomplished
with shims, I'm assuming, on the original box, as on it there is no visible
means of mechanical adjustment. Is the steering ratio different for the
spiders and the GTV's? My girlfriend says the spider drives like a truck.

Thanks, one and all.

Modelle in Somers Point