RE: top straps

> I think they are supposed to minimize the top's frame from
> rattling around when it is down.

Charlie's right, they do serve to reduce rattling, which
serves two purposes.  First, it reduces wear on the top (as
others pointed out), but it also allows more enjoyment of
the "good" noises.  The latch straps do more to reduce
rattling than the top straps, and I can attest to the fact
that one top strap in place is just about as good as two.

On a related note, I can also attest to the other previously
unstated use for the top straps - as an offensive weapon.
Try lifting the top under the influence of rain-soaking
urgency with the top straps still in place.  I launched my
now missing one in a beautiful ballistic arc about 100 ft.
distance into the woods.
--
jw