Lassi's 164 clutch slip

Original post

Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 20:57:01 +0300 (EEST)
From: Lassi Kinnunen <glass@domain.elided>
Subject: 164 ts clutch after 8months of not driving.

I have a 1989 tspark, which i couldn't afford to get on the road(nor had
time, since i spent some time doing the Finnish army service) for about 8
months(it went out of mot/inspection time). car runs ok now and i had the
handbrake fixed(replaced..) so i got it through inspection.

this is my first post to the list but i've been reading this for about
18 months.. great list.

but: in the higher gears the clutch slips when i press the throttle hard,
amount seems to vary a bit but i'm not sure. the clutch did definetely not
slip before the 8months of not driving. any ideas? am i to have the clutch
replaced? or is there some other things to be taken into account? how do
you bleed the clutch hydraulics, where's the bleeder? how would air in the
clutch-lines affect the clutch operation, the pedal goes down a bit before
it starts to feel like it's got any effect(few centimeters perhaps, what
i mean by effect is that there's no 'back pressure(?)' on the pedal on
the few first cm).

a bit of an questions flood, thanks in advance for the answers..

- -lassi

Could the operating shaft passing through the bellhousing need lubrication?
When you open the lid you will see to the right of the engine (as you look
at it, i.e. on the left side of the car) the conical casting between the
engine and gearbox, under the distributor.
On top of this casting, a splined shaft emerges which is the bit that
operates the clutch. The lever on the shaft is pushed by the clutch slave
cylinder and might not be moving back all the way. In Finland (correct?) I
imagine that you get fierce weather during the winter when the car was
stood, this could maybe hurt the oil in there.

i dont think that you have air in there, I had in mine and the clutch
wouldnt slip with the pedal to the floor! Bleeding these things is also a
pain as you have to do it upwards or it doesnt work.

Not being familiar with TS 164s I dont know if there is a way to look at
the clutch plate, there isnt on the V6 that I have (someone tell me I
missed it).