Re: Lassi's 164 clutch slip

On Mon, 17 Jun 2002, Jonathan Coates wrote:

> Could the operating shaft passing through the bellhousing need lubrication?

yes, I imagine it could, it feels like the clutch sticks better if I
engage the clutch fast(this could be just a feeling tho)..

> When you open the lid you will see to the right of the engine (as you look
> at it, i.e. on the left side of the car) the conical casting between the
> engine and gearbox, under the distributor.
> On top of this casting, a splined shaft emerges which is the bit that
> operates the clutch. The lever on the shaft is pushed by the clutch slave
> cylinder and might not be moving back all the way. In Finland (correct?) I
> imagine that you get fierce weather during the winter when the car was
> stood, this could maybe hurt the oil in there.

if you count snapping tree's  and -30c as fierce :) (luckily
not for  long perioids last winter), and yes the country is correct.
the road salts are not gentle..

is there a rule how far the bit that comes out from the slave cylinder is
supposed to go back in?

> Not being familiar with TS 164s I dont know if there is a way to look at
> the clutch plate, there isnt on the V6 that I have (someone tell me I
> missed it).

i don't think there is :\ at least there is no obvious way..