164 front end shake

hi all,

help me troubleshoot my 164's front end shake, please...  ;~)  i'm pretty sure it's not the wheels outta balance.  if i'm cruising at, say 70-80, the front end shakes, w/the steering wheel rapidly oscillating back-n-forth a half-inch or so.  as soon as i let off the gas, the shaking stops completely.  at slower speeds, say 40-50, the opposite may occur - actually getting smoother when getting back on the throttle.  sometimes it doesn't shake at all...  any clues?

thanks,

doug s.