Speedo voodoo

I think I remember reading the answer to this question in the past, but maybe
someone can help refresh my memory...

Has anyone else experienced this?  When I drive my '74 GTV, one of the two
needles (tach or speedo) will oscillate at any given speed. I remember in the
past thinking a cable was going bad or coming loose and have replaced both of
them over the last three years, but I'm beginning to suspect something else is
going on.  Lately I'll start driving with the tach doing the dance, come to a
stop for a light, and pick up speed and the speedo starts to dance while the
tach is steady.  Start up at the end of the day to head home for work and
roles reverse.  I've heard of people having problems with ungrounded engines
using speedo cables as a ground, but everything in the instrument cluster is
plastic so I can't see that at work.  Coincidence, voodo or what?  Thanks.

George
'74 GTV "Ollie"
www.gtv2000.com