Euro 105 headlights

In #781 Dana Loomis comments: "...This car has the original Carello
headlights with the old-style removable lamps inside--the ones with the
large round globes.  This type of bulb is impossible to find around here
and I needed
to get the lights working for the car's mandatory state safety
inspection, so I installed 60/55 W H4s.  The H4s fit, work perfectly..."

*********

Dana, I'm somewhat confused. What you describe as the 'old-style lamps
with removable bulbs with large round globes' are tungsten bulbs.

I assume you replaced the tungstens with 'special' H4's that have a P45
base (which the tungstens require). The regular H4's require a smaller
mounting base.

Unless its a matter of not doing my homework or you went to a well
stocked supply house with one of your old tungstens and said, "Give me
two like this but in halogens," I'm surprised you found them so easily.

I sell Cibie H4's with the P45 base (not inexpensive at $19 per) and
prefer to sell the 45/40 W bulbs as they will invariably be going on an
older car.

I agree with Brian Shorey's remark about adding a relay primarily to
save the increasingly difficult to get light switches on older cars.
Assuming your / one's electrical system is in good health, the 45/40 W's
will actually be less of a 'drain' on the entire system and you will
still have better lighting.

Unless one is going for the ultimate in originality, it is silly not to
use halogen bulbs.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA