Batteries

Due to brake problems I haven't been running my Berlina very much for the last
couple of months and wasn't too surprised that the battery was dead the last
time I had to move it. When it wouldn't take a charge I removed the terminals
and found quite a bit of oxidation and some fairly large pits (1/8 - 1/4") in
the battery terminals. I cleaned off the oxidation and the battery took a
charge but I suspect the pits are the source of the oxidation problem and will
be a nuisance in the future. Any idea on what caused this and more importantly
can I fill in these pits with some lead based solder? One hint is that my
previous positive cable came to a catastrophic end after I did some
maintenance, forgot to check the cables routing and shorted it out on the hot
exhaust manifold. Big oops!

Mitch Wolberg
Denver, CO
69 Berlina