RE: Batteries

I do not know what type of battery you have sealed lead acid (cant add
water), or a regular wet cell (the one you can add water). There is a
possibility that the oxidation could be caused by a loose/bad connection to
your terminals. However the most likely cause is from gasses escaping from
the battery while it is being charged. The sealed lead acid (cant add
water) should not be emitting gasses, if it is then the battery needs to be
replaced. If you have a wet cell (can add water) then some gassing is
normal but there shouldn't be enough to corrode anything. In either case
you should check the voltage at the battery while it is charging. The
voltage should not be more than 13.8 volts while charging.
	There are some reasons that will cause a sealed lead acid battery to leak,
one of them is plate growth, this is when the lead plates inside naturally
grow over time. Eventually they will cause a crack or a leak near one of
the post openings. This is natural but means its time to change the
battery.
	If you have corrosion around the posts of a sealed lead acid battery you
will need to change the battery. If you have corrosion around a wet cell
type battery clean it up, neutralize the area by applying a baking soda and
water mix and rinse. In both cases check the charge voltage. I would not
recommend soldering a battery post, you will melt the plastic battery case!

Bill LeClair